Blood Orange French Toast
6 slices St Pierre sliced Brioche Loaf
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp butter
3 blood oranges
2 tbsp honey
1.5 can sparkling blood orange drink/soda
½ tsp good quality vanilla extract
½ tsp corn flour, mixed with 2 tsp cold water
- Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and sugar in a bowl or jug then pour into a wide shallow bowl that is large enough to dip the brioche slices into. Set aside.
- Squeeze the juice from one of the oranges into a bowl. Cut the skin off the other 2 oranges with a knife on a chopping board, then carefully cut out the segments.
- Pour the blood orange drink into a small saucepan and simmer for a few minutes until reduced by about half. Stir in the squeezed orange juice and add the honey. Pour in the corn flour and water mixture and keep stirring over a medium heat until thickened and glossy. Keep warm.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat then add a little oil and a little of the butter.
- Dip a slice of brioche into the egg mixture so both sides are coated then allow the excess to run off. Place in the pan & repeat with another one or two slices, depending how many will fit in your frying pan. Fry for a couple of minutes then turn and cook the other side until golden. Lift out and keep warm. Add a little more oil and butter to the pan and repeat with the other slices.
- Stack the slices onto warm plates and top with the orange segments then pour over the sauce.