8 oz. imitation crab meat, chopped
8 oz. cream cheese, softened at room temperature
2 scallions, minced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Wonton wrappers (about 24 each)
1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon of water
4 cups vegetable or canola oil
SWEET CHILI TRUFF DIP:
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon fish sauce
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons rice wine or mirin
1/2 tablespoon TRUFF Signature Black Truffle Hot Sauce
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- Place rice vinegar, sugar, water, fish sauce, garlic, rice wine, TRUFF, and crushed red pepper flakes in a medium saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add diluted cornstarch to the saucepan, whisk to combine, & continue to simmer the sauce until thickened.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and set sauce aside to cool.
- Place imitation crab meat, cream cheese, scallions, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl, and stir to combine.
- Place one heaping teaspoon of crab filling in the center of a wonton wrapper. Keep the other wrappers covered while filling each rangoon to keep them from drying out.
- Brush the outer edges of the wrapper with a bit of egg wash.
- Bring the long edges of the wrapper together in the center and pinch together, creating a pinwheel shape. Repeat this process for the remaining wrappers or until you run out of filling.
- Place the wontons on a parchment-lined baking sheet and store them in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large pot or deep fryer over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil has reached 350°F, fry wontons until golden brown and crisp for about 1-2 minutes. If necessary, work in small batches.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove wontons from the oil and set them aside to drain on a wire rack.