Courtesy of www.effieshomemade.com
1 pkg. Effie’s Oatcakes
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
2 c. whole Medjool dates
2 c. warm water
1/2 c. toasted pecans, chopped
3 oz. dried tart cherries
2 Tbsp. toasted unsweetened coconut
- Break the Oatcakes into the bowl of a food processor and process until you have a fine crumb. Transfer to a bowl and add the melted butter to form a moistened meal.
- Press the Oatcake crumbs into a small Pyrex dish or 9-inch pie tin. Press the crumbs evenly along the bottom of the pan forming an even crust. Place the crust in the freezer for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Soak the dates in the 2 c. warm water for 30 minutes. Drain the dates, reserving 2 T. of the water. Pit the dates with your hands and transfer to a blender or small food processor. Pulse the dates and then add the 2 T. reserved water. Puree until smooth and transfer to a bowl. You should yield about 1 1/2 c. of date puree.
- Remove the crust from the freezer. Using an off-set spatula spread the date puree over the crust for an even thin 1/4-inch layer. Sprinkle the toasted pecans over the date puree and then top with tart cherries & a sprinkle of toasted coconut.
- Return the bars to the refrigerator for 30 minutes (or more) lightly covered.
- Cut the bars into small 1- to 2-inch portion sizes.
The bars will last in the refrigerator for up to one week.