Food Cart-Style Chicken Salad with White Sauce
24oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed (about 4)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 & 1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
White Yogurt Sauce Ingredients
1 cup Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp black pepper
6 C chopped iceberg or romaine lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, quartered
1/2 small red onion, sliced
1 prepared mild harissa, optional for drizzling
- Season the chicken with lemon juice, garlic, cumin, oil, salt, and spices. Set aside at least 15 minutes, or as long as overnight.
- Combine the ingredients for the white yogurt sauce and refrigerate.
- When ready to cook, heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and leave until the bottom is completely browned, about 5 minutes before flipping.
- Cook on the other side for another 4 to 5 minutes, until browned.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the chicken continue cooking, about 10 minutes, until just about cooked through in the thickest parts (no worries if it’s not completely cooked).
- Set aside on a cutting board and chop the chicken into thin strips and add back to the pan to brown and finish cooking, 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Assemble the salad by dividing the lettuce, tomato, and red onion.
- Top with chicken and drizzle with yogurt sauce (this is your dressing) and harissa, if desired.