2 Backyard Farms beefsteak tomatoes
1 large egg
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 teaspoon salt
Grinding black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
- Cut each tomato into four ¼-inch thick round slices and lay them in a single row on paper towels. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg with a fork; stir in the basil. Set aside.
- In another shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, almonds, salt and pepper.
- Coat each tomato slice in the egg, allowing the excess to drip off; coat each slice on both sides in the breadcrumb mixture and place the slices in a single row on a baking sheet or platter. At this point, the tomatoes can be placed uncovered in the refrigerator until ready to fry.
- When ready to fry, coat a frying pan with a thin layer of oil; when it is hot, add the tomatoes a few at a time and fry them until golden on both sides.
- Transfer them to a serving dish. Serve each with a few drops of balsamic glaze.