IRISH FISH PIE
2 ¾ cups milk, divided
1 bay leaf
1 ½ pounds cod fillets, skinned, deboned and cut into 1.5” chunks
½ pound smoked salmon fillet, skinned, deboned and cut into 1.5” chunks
6 tablespoons Kerrygold
1 medium onion, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
3 tablespoons flour
½ cup dry white wine (or vegetable broth)
1 cup peas
Pinch of crushed red pepper
¼ cup freshly chopped dill
Kosher salt and ground pepper
1 ¾ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 ounces grated Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan filled with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Drain thoroughly. Add 2 tablespoons Kerrygold Butter and ¼ cup milk to potatoes & mash until smooth. Keep warm.
- While potatoes are cooking, bring 2 ½ cups milk and bay leaf to a simmer over medium heat in a saucepan. Add cod and salmon and simmer for 5-7 minutes. (Reposition fish as needed to ensure they are mostly covered with liquid.) Remove fish from milk using slotted spoon. Discard bay leaf. Set milk aside.
- Melt two tablespoons Kerrygold Butter in a large, 12” skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and sauté for 7-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on top of vegetables, stir to incorporate and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze pan with wine and reduce liquid by ½ (less than a minute).
- Add peas to skillet along with reserved milk, fish, dill and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Evenly spread mashed potatoes over top of fish mixture. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons Kerrygold Butter and drizzle over potatoes. Top with grated Kerrygold Aged Cheddar.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned and edges are bubbling. If you want a crispier topping once the fish pie is baked, broil using low heat for a few minutes.