LEMON CHICKEN PICCATA
4 thin sliced chicken breasts (about 1.25 lbs.)
3 tbsp. tapioca starch
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1.25 cups chicken broth
2.5 tsp. Primal Kitchen Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 lemon, sliced into half moons
- In a dish or shallow bowl, toss the chicken breasts in 2.5 tbsp. tapioca starch, the salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat the butter in a stainless or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted and bubbling, add the chicken breasts.
- Brown the chicken breasts for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pan and set them aside. Lower the temperature of the heat to medium heat and add the broth to the pan.
- Use a whisk to bring up any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Scoop out a few tablespoons of liquid and mix it with the remaining tapioca starch to create a slurry.
- As the liquid in the pan begins to bubble, add the fresh thyme and mustard. Allow the mixture to simmer until it starts to thicken slightly, then add the slurry to the pan.
- Whisk until the mixture reaches the thickness of your liking, then add the capers and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place the cooked chicken back into the pan and coat the chicken in the sauce.
- Add the lemon slices to the pan and top with more fresh thyme. Serve with your favorite side dish.