Courtesy of www.VERMONTCREAMERY.COM
FOR THE CRUST
8 oz chocolate graham crackers
¼ cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons butter, melted
FOR THE FILLING
¼ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons heavy cream
5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 large egg, room temperature
1 ½ tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
FOR THE CRÈME FRAÎCHE WHIPPED CREAM
½ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 large vanilla bean pod, seeds scraped out
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a large rectangle tart pan (can also use a round one!)
- In a food processor or blender, pulse chocolate graham crackers until finely ground. Pour into a mixing bowl and mix with sugar and melted butter until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Place mixture into tart pan and press evenly into the bottoms and sides of the pan. Blind bake the crust by placing a piece of parchment paper on top of the prepared crust, then pouring in uncooked rice on top of the parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes while you make your filling.
- Place cream in a small saucepan & heat over low heat until scalding (just less than boiling). Remove from heat and add in chopped chocolate. Let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk to combine. Chocolate should be fully melted by this point.
- Add in the egg, instant espresso powder, vanilla extract, and salt, whisking especially as you add in the egg.
- Take tart crust out of the oven, and remove parchment paper and rice. Pour in filling mixture, then bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before topping with crème fraîche whipped cream.
- To make the creme fraiche whipped cream, whip heavy cream into soft peaks, then add in powdered sugar, crème fraiche, and vanilla bean pod. Top over tart and serve!