1 lb Pancetta, 1/2-inch lardons if possible
2 each Medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and large dice
2 each Carrots, peeled and large dice
2 each Celery Ribs, large dice
1 each Leek, white part only
1 each Small Yellow Onion, large dice
4 cloves Garlic, sliced
1tsp Curry Powder
1 each Cinnamon Stick
¼ each Vanilla Bean pod, cut lengthwise to expose the seeds
4 cups Broth, Chicken or Pork
1 cup Apple Juice or Apple Cider
1 sprig Fresh Rosemary
2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
1 each Bay Leaf
1 cup White Wine, dry preferred
2 cups Italian Kale, rinsed and julienne
· Warm your slow cooker on high.
· In a large sauté pan over medium heat, slowly caramelize the pancetta on all sides
· Remove the lardons from the pan leaving behind about 2 Tb of rendered pancetta fat. Add the pancetta lardons to the slow cooker
· To the fat add the carrot, celery, leek, onion, and garlic. Cook slowly for about 8 minutes. Allow the vegetables to soften and become a light brown in color.
· Add the tsp of curry powder to the vegetables and cook for 1 minute.
· Add all of that mixture to the slow cooker.
· Add the rest of the ingredients minus the Italian kale to the slow cooker. Cover with the lid
· Cook times are flexible, depending on the slow cooker temperature. LOW: 8-9 hours. HIGH: 5-6 hours
· Remove the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and herb sprigs from the stew
· The last step is adding in the julienne kale. Turn the cooker to HIGH and add the kale. Allow to cook in there for 5 minutes.