Courtesy of www.michiganasparagus.org
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Finely grated zest of 1/2 medium lemon
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon)
2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallot (from about 1 medium)
Kosher (salt to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons pine nuts
1-pound thick asparagus spears, tough bottoms removed
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup packed shaved Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 oz)
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, shallot, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Toast the pine nuts in a medium frying pan over medium heat, stirring often, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove to a small bowl to cool.
- Using a vegetable peeler, thinly slice the asparagus lengthwise into strips and place in a large bowl.
- Whisk the olive oil into the lemon-vinegar mixture in a thin and steady stream. Taste and season the dressing with salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the cooled pine nuts, dressing, half of the Parmesan, and all of the parsley to the asparagus and toss with your hands to combine.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve topped with the remaining Parmesan cheese slices.