Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs
2 tbsp olive oil
4 lb beef short ribs
1 tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp pepper
1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp garlic minced
3 cups Kettle & Fire Beef Cooking Broth
- Season short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add seasoned ribs to the hot oil (bone side up first) and sear on each side for 1-2 minutes, until browned. (The ribs will not be cooked through.)
- Remove and transfer ribs to a large crockpot.
- To the same skillet, add onions, mushrooms, and tomato paste. Stir to coat the vegetables. Cook over medium heat until onions are tender (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Increase the heat to high and pour in the beef cooking broth, stirring often and scraping up the brown bits from the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring and scraping the sides as needed.
- Pour over the ribs in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Or, cook on high for 3-5 hours.
- The ribs are done cooking when they easily fall off the bone.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.