WEEKLY SPECIALS 9/20/2015
Courtesy of www.backyardfarms.com
4 pounds Backyard Farms Beefsteak Tomatoes, cut in half
1 tablespoon safflower oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
¼ bunch cilantro, chopped, plus additional ¼ bunch for garnish
4 sprigs thyme leaves, minced
¾ tablespoon whole coriander seeds
1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4 cups vegetable stock
¾ tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 pieces of pita bread
- Line sheet pan with parchment paper and roast tomatoes cut side up at 350°F for 30-45 minutes; tomatoes should be lightly roasted.
- Add oil to soup pot, turn heat to medium and add onions; cook until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and roasted tomatoes. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Add cilantro, thyme, coriander, Aleppo pepper, sugar and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable stock and red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup solids into blender & cover with cooking liquid until just covered. Gradually run blender from low to high for 30 seconds or until soup is smooth. Empty blender into large bowl; repeat with remaining soup contents in pot.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, red wine vinegar and sugar.
- Garnish: Preheat oven to 300°F. Cut pita into ½ inch squares; toss with oil and a pinch of salt; bake for 10-20 minutes or until crispy. Pick cilantro leaves from the stem. Garnish soup with
croutons and cilantro.