Thai Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Thai Peanut Butternut Squash Soup is a creamy butternut squash soup flavored with Thai peanut sauce, coconut milk, lemongrass and onions and a dash of Sriracha sauce. Topped with microgreens, crushed peanuts, more coconut milk, cilantro and scallions, this is a spicy-and-sweet soup that is perfect for fall, or the Thanksgiving table.
2 tbsp. Vegetable or Canola Oil
6 c. Butternut Squash, diced
1 Onion, diced
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 stem Lemongrass, minced
2 tbsp. Thai Peanut Sauce
2 tsp. Sriracha Sauce
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Black pepper
4 c. Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 (13 ½-oz.) can Coconut Milk
Juice of 1 Lime
Lime slices, for serving
Fresh cilantro, for serving
Peanuts, diced, for served
Microgreens or Sprouts, for serving
Scallions, diced, for serving
Coconut milk, for serving
- Preheat a large pot to medium heat. Add oil, diced onion, cubed squash, minced garlic and lemongrass. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add Thai peanut sauce, sriracha sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add broth. Cover and let soup cook for 30 minutes, until squash is fully cooked and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Using an immersion blender or a standing blender, purée the soup mixture until smooth, working in batches if necessary.
- Add coconut milk to the soup, and stir to combine. Season with lime juice. Taste and correct seasonings, adding salt, more Thai peanut sauce, sriracha sauce or lime juice if necessary.
Serve the butternut squash soup drizzled with additional coconut milk and topped with microgreens, fresh cilantro, crushed peanuts, diced scallions and lime wedges on the side.