Tres Leches Cake
Unsalted butter at room temperature, to grease the baking pan
6 large eggs, separated (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1 cup self-rising flour
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup whole milk
12 ounce can evaporated milk (chilled)
1 quart Florida strawberries, washed, dried well, caps removed and thinly sliced, lengthwise
1 ½ cups heavy (whipping) cream
2 to 4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter 19”x13” baking pan and set aside.
- In a clean, cool mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form.
- In another bowl, mix egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold beaten egg whites into egg yolks until combined.
- Gently fold the flour into the egg mixture until well combined.
- Spread cake batter in prepared pan.
- Bake until golden color and cake pulls away from sides of the pan when touched.
- Cool cake 20 minutes.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and whole milk, and pour slowly and evenly over baked and cooled cake.
- Cover cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 1 day.
- Prepare whipped topping by whipping cream until soft peaks form and gradually adding confectioner’s sugar.
- Place sliced strawberries, in rows, over top of the cake.
- Cut cake into squares and top with a generous amount of whipped topping or place whipped cream on the side.