Vegetarian Butternut Squash Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 lbs butternut squash, peeled & cut into 1-inch cubes
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled & cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cups vegetable stock
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup Vermont Creamery Crème Fraiche
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottom pot (we used a 5.5 quart Dutch Oven) over medium heat. Add in the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, until all vegetables are softened, 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the squash, apple, vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Put the lid on, bring to a boil, turn down the heat to medium, and cook until a knife inserted into a squash comes in and out easily.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender. Alternatively, you can blend the soup in a blender.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top it off with a dollop of crème fraiche and garnish it with parsley.