Vegetarian Butternut Squash Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 pounds butternut squash, peeled & cut into 1-inch cubes
1 Granny Smith apple , peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cups vegetable stock
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottom pot (we recommend a 5.5 quart Dutch Oven) over medium heat. Add in the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, until all vegetables are softened, 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the squash, apple, vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Put the lid on, bring to a boil, turn down the heat to medium, and cook until a knife inserted into a squash comes in and out easily.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender. Alternatively, you can blend the soup in a blender (like Vitamix).
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top it off with a dollop of créme fraîche and garnish it with parsley. Serve.