WEEKLY SPECIALS 4/19/15
Courtesy of www.bumblebee.com
2 cans or pouches (5 oz) Bumble Bee® Tuna, drained and flaked
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup low-fat milk
1 cup grated zucchini or yellow squash
2 tablespoons minced green onion
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried crushed thyme
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup buttermilk or low-fat milk
1 large raw egg
1 ½ cups crushed cornflakes
1/3 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
DILL SAUCE: 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/3 cup finely minced cucumber
½ teaspoon dill weed
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour. Add milk stirring continuously until mixture thickens and boils. Cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in tuna, zucchini, onion, lemon juice, thyme and pepper until well combined. Cover and chill mixture for 30 minutes. Shape chilled mixture into eight 2-inch balls. In a shallow dish, stir together buttermilk and egg. In another shallow dish, combine cornflakes and cheese. Roll balls first in egg mixture, then in cornflake mixture. Repeat procedure to coat well. Spray to prepare a baking sheet to arrange croquettes to bake approximately 30 minutes or until heated through and golden brown. Prepare dill sauce in a small bowl; stir together yogurt, cucumber and dill. Serve croquettes with sauce. Makes 8.
WEEKLY SPECIALS 4/12/15
Courtesy of www.organicvalley.com
2⁄3 cup espresso coffee beans
1⁄2 vanilla bean pod (If you don’t have a vanilla bean, substitute 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and add it after you strain the custard.)
1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 1⁄2 cups Organic Valley Half and Half
2⁄3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1. Place coffee beans in a plastic bag; pound them with a flat heavy instrument to coarsely chop them. Split vanilla pod lengthwise; scrape out seeds. Combine coffee, vanilla beans and skin, heavy cream and half & half in a heavy saucepan. Bring to simmer, turn off heat, cover pan and let stand 30-60 minutes to steep the coffee and vanilla in the hot cream.
2. Whisk egg yolks in a bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk in the sugar until the mixture is thickened and pale. Whisk in flour and salt. Gradually whisk in the coffee-cream mixture. Return mixture to pan and cook, stirring constantly and without boiling, until custard thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 6-8 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean bowl. Let cool, stirring occasionally. Cover and chill thoroughly.
3. Stir the custard mixture. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s directions. Enjoy the frozen custard right after churning or transfer it to an air-tight container and freeze it 4-8 hours before serving.
WEEKLY SPECIALS 4/5/15
Courtesy of www.dailypantry.com
1 small eggplant (about 1 pound), trimmed & cut into 8 slices
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten 3 cups crispy rice cereal, finely crushed
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan 4 boneless skinless chicken cutlets (12 to 14 ounces total)
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/3 cup Daily Pantry Crushed Tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the broiler. Mist both sides of the eggplant slices with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle both sides with the Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and broil until browned and tender, turning once, about 6 minutes. Set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour & cayenne in a shallow dish. Combine the egg whites & 1 teaspoon water in a second dish. Combine the cereal & parmesan cheese in a third dish. Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, dredge with flour & tap off the excess. Coat with egg whites & place in the cereal mix & press until well coated on both sides. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Mist a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the oil and then 2 pieces of the coated chicken. Cook, turning once, until the chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray and repeat with the remaining oil and chicken.
- Place 2 eggplant slices on each chicken cutlet and top evenly with the sauce and cheese. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
WEEKLY SPECIALS 3/30/15
Courtesy of www.kraftrecipes.com
1 pkg. (2-layer size) white cake mix
1 cup boiling water
1 pkg. (3 oz.) JELL-O Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
Few drops food coloring, any color
24 JET-PUFFED Marshmallows
24 JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows
¼ cup colored sugar
PREPARE cake batter and bake as directed on
package for 24 cupcakes; cool completely in pan. Pierce cupcakes with wooden skewer or large fork at 1/4-inch intervals.
ADD boiling water to gelatin mix; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Spoon over cupcakes, adding about 2 tsp. to each. Refrigerate 3 hours.
TINT COOL WHIP with food coloring; spread onto cupcakes.
CUT each large marshmallow crosswise into 5 pieces with kitchen shears. Arrange 5 on top of each cupcake to resemble flower. Place 1 miniature marshmallow in center of each. Sprinkle with sugar.
WEEKLY SPECIALS 3/23/2015
Courtesy of www.stellacheese.com
4 ounces baby arugula
1/2 c. unsalted shelled pistachios*
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
4 small cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 c. oven-roasted tomatoes
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. gemelli pasta, cooked according to package & cooled
1 c. Aged Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 c. pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
1 c. red bell pepper, julienned
Extra virgin olive oil, optional
Place all pesto ingredients in food processor and pulse until fairly smooth paste forms. Combine pasta with cheese, olives and red pepper in ceramic bowl. Pour pesto over and toss until salad ingredients are evenly coated. For more moist salad, add olive oil as desired. The salad can be served warm or cold. To serve warm, reheat pasta before adding other ingredients.
*If using salted pistachios, cut salt back to 1 teaspoon.