SPECIALS FLYER 10/27/2014
1/2 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
4 1/2 teaspoons California chili powder
1 tablespoon gray salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups Progresso™ panko crispy bread crumbs
1 lb petrale sole or other thin white fish fillets (8 to 12 fillets), cleaned, skinned
1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
1 serrano or jalapeño chile, thinly sliced
(about 1 tablespoon)
Gray salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon grated
- In small bowl, mix flour, chili powder, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Line up 3 like-sized baking dishes or shallow bowls. Place flour mixture in first dish. Place beaten eggs in second dish. In third dish, place bread crumbs. To bread fish fillets, coat with flour mixture, dip into eggs, then coat with bread crumbs. Set aside on platter or baking tray.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1/3 cup of the oil over high heat. Add half of the fillets; cook about 2 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Turn fish; cook other sides 1 minute. Remove from skillet to warmed serving platter; cover to keep hot. Cook remaining fillets, adding more oil if necessary.
- Add garlic and chile to hot oil in skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Add basil; cook and stir 2 minutes to crisp. Toss in orange peel.
- Arrange fillets on serving platter or individual plates; top with the basil, garlic and orange mixture.
1 lb Pancetta, 1/2-inch lardons if possible
2 each Medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and large dice
2 each Carrots, peeled and large dice
2 each Celery Ribs, large dice
1 each Leek, white part only
1 each Small Yellow Onion, large dice
4 cloves Garlic, sliced
1tsp Curry Powder
1 each Cinnamon Stick
¼ each Vanilla Bean pod, cut lengthwise to expose the seeds
4 cups Broth, Chicken or Pork
1 cup Apple Juice or Apple Cider
1 sprig Fresh Rosemary
2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
1 each Bay Leaf
1 cup White Wine, dry preferred
2 cups Italian Kale, rinsed and julienne
· Warm your slow cooker on high.
· In a large sauté pan over medium heat, slowly caramelize the pancetta on all sides
· Remove the lardons from the pan leaving behind about 2 Tb of rendered pancetta fat. Add the pancetta lardons to the slow cooker
· To the fat add the carrot, celery, leek, onion, and garlic. Cook slowly for about 8 minutes. Allow the vegetables to soften and become a light brown in color.
· Add the tsp of curry powder to the vegetables and cook for 1 minute.
· Add all of that mixture to the slow cooker.
· Add the rest of the ingredients minus the Italian kale to the slow cooker. Cover with the lid
· Cook times are flexible, depending on the slow cooker temperature. LOW: 8-9 hours. HIGH: 5-6 hours
· Remove the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and herb sprigs from the stew
· The last step is adding in the julienne kale. Turn the cooker to HIGH and add the kale. Allow to cook in there for 5 minutes.