Courtesy of www.VERMONTCREAMERY.com
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
BROWN SUGAR AND CRANBERRY TOPPING
1/2 cup Vermont Creamery Unsalted Cultured Butter (any unsalted butter will do)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups cranberries
SPIKED CRÈME FRAÎCHE
1/2 cup Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons aged whiskey
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Generously butter an 8- to 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in orange zest, vanilla, and milk until well mixed. Add flour mixture; stir until just combined. Gently whisk in mascarpone. Set aside.
4. Place 1/2 cup butter and brown sugar in small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until butter has melted and incorporated with the sugar. Pour into bottom of prepared cake pan; use a spoon to spread evenly onto bottom of the pan.
5. Sprinkle cranberries in an even layer over the brown sugar sauce.
6. Pour cake batter over cranberries and gently smooth batter into an even layer. Bake 40-45 minutes or until cake is set, lightly browned and slightly pulling away from edges of the pan.
7. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
8. Combine crème fraiche, powdered sugar, and whiskey in a small bowl. Gently stir until smooth.
9. Serve thick wedges of the cake topped with a generous dollop of spiked crème fraiche.