When cooked at home with a ready-made bone broth, traditional healthy chicken tortilla soup can be an easy, delicious, and nutritious alternative to this favorite recipe from Mexican restaurants. The secret is lots of fresh lime and crispy baked tortillas. www.kettleandfire.com
2 corn tortillas cut into strips
2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
1 onion diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 sweet potato peeled and diced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder or ground cayenne pepper
28 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 zucchini diced
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
3 limes cut in quarters
Optional toppings: Cilantro, cherry tomatoes, radish, yogurt
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Place the tortilla strips on a baking
sheet and transfer to the oven. Cook until crispy and brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add
the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add the sweet potato, oregano, cumin and chili powder and cook until
fragrant, about 1 minute. Then add the tomatoes and broth. Cook,
partially covered, until the flavors start to meld, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and chicken and cook until the zucchini is soft, 10
to 12 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Remove from the heat and stir in as much lime juice as you’d like.
- Place the tortilla strips in bowls. Pour the soup over and add as
many toppings as you’d like.